Saturday, May 15, 2010

Howard Katz, BHS 1959 runs for office

Howard Katz Candidate for Congress
Democrat, California's 49th

Congressional District

I was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1941, and moved with my family to Los Angeles, California, in 1942. I started grammar school at the Wilshire Crest Elementary on Olympic Boulevard in Los Angeles. In 1951, I moved to Burbank, California, where I finished grammar school, attended Luther Burbank Junior High School, and then Burbank High School, from where I graduated in 1959. I began university at the University of Southern California (USC) in 1959. I transferred to California State University Northridge (CSUN) in 1960 and graduated from there in 1963 with a degree in History and Anthropology. I did graduate work in Anthropology at Cornell University after graduating from CSUN.

I started working for IBM as a Systems Engineer Trainee in 1963 and retired from IBM as a Senior Program Manager after 30 years in 1993. After I retired from IBM, I worked as a Management Consultant for a Dallas, Texas, consulting company, worked as a Consulting Practice Manager for Oracle Corporation at several locations in the US, returned to work as a Senior Project Director for a Dallas consulting company, worked as Director of Development for 24 Hour Fitness in Carlsbad, California, and finished my working career as a substitute teacher in Perris, Murrieta, and Temecula, California.

I have lived and worked in several locations in the US, Venezuela, Japan, and Europe. I've traveled extensively in the US and abroad, including: Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Mongolia,
Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad/Tobago, and Venezuela.

My wife Kathy and I have been married for 47 years. We have two children, Travis and Heather. Travis is married, has four children, and lives in Dallas. Heather is single and lives in New York City. For most of our married life, Kathy and I have been avid horse people. We currently have three horses at our ranch in the Temecula Wine Country. We have taken our horses to many locations in the Western United States to camp and ride, including: Sequoia National Forest (California), Pecos National Wilderness (New Mexico), Big Bend National Park (Texas), Point Reyes National Seashore (California), Death Valley National Park (California), Canyon de Chilly National Monument (Arizona), Cleveland National Forest (California), Anza Borrego Desert State Park (California), and the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve (California).

We are growing Japanese black pines, coastal redwoods, piƱon pines, and giant sequoias on our ranch. Besides the trees we are growing, we have planted over 200 other trees on our ranch. We believe that trees provide habitat for birds and other animals and substantially helps air quality.

No comments: