Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dignity Vietnam Moving Wall

Here I am getting ready to place a red carnation at the Vietnam Wall in remembrence of my two classmates, William Henry Bric III and Robert John Campbell.
The Dove release at Closing Ceremonies.

Vietnam Veterans saluating the Vietnam Wall and their buddies whose names are on the Wall.


Americian Flag, Service Branch Flags, POW/MIA Flag



A women doing a name rubbing of a loved one who is on the wall.





A couple embrace while the husband remembers his buddies on the wall.




Here I am getting ready to volunteer on Friday morning.


Helicopter Flyover

This past Labor Day weekend, I spent it at Valley of the Oaks Memorial Park Cemetery in Westlake Village, California volunteering at the Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall. I slept in my truck at night from Friday until the Closing Ceremonies on Monday at 10 a.m..

I work the wall helping people find the names of their loved one on the wall. I gave tours and explained how the wall and the names were set up. I answered questions and did look-ups in my green book with all the names and where they are on the wall.

Sunday night one of the names I looked up for a couple was one of my own classmates from Burbank High School, Robert John Campbell BHS 1967. The woman was Virginia Castro from the Class of 1968 and she said that John Campbell had been their neighbor and they grew up together. As it turned out Virginia's brother Gerald Castro BHS 65 and I had met a few years ago as he was in boot camp with Douglas Ray Johnson BHS 64 who was killed in Vietnam and Gerald later sent me some photos of Douglas in boot camp. Next thing I know Virgina Castro calls her brother on the cell phone and ask if he remembers me and he said yes and to tell me Hi!. We all had a good laugh.
The closing ceremonies was really nice as they cleared the wall of people and then had all Vietnam Veterans go up to the wall and salute it. There was a dove release and then the Seabees started taking down the wall as it's next stop is Phoenix, AZ. Check out the Acorn News as I am mentioned in it.





















No comments: